< Me (but I'm girl)
HI! (if anyone reads this blog)
So I'm not big about writing on my blog I usually just put pictures up so people can see what is up in my life without getting real personal. Lately I have been struggling with a decision that is actually really big. I think I want to change my major! I'm almost 22 I can't do that right?
Well see the thing is too, I'm already behind in the major I'm in now. I should graduate in April but I won't graduate till next April and if I change my major I won't graduate till April 2012! And I'll be 24 by then! :( I don't know what to do.
So right now I am majoring in Communication Disorders, which I thought it was really good and practical, go to school be a Speech Therapist automatic career, cause they are always in need. But see the problem is I have to go to Graduate school to actually do what I really want to do, which would be another two/two half years on top of that! Which would be fine but, I really don't like my classes, I dread going to class and then I either fall asleep or surf the web cause I'm so bored! And all my friends, in class, talk about how interesting it is, what is interesting? where was the interesting part? I know I shouldn't just give up now for what I want in the future but honestly I don't like it. Especially what the teachers say about being a speech therapist isn't really what I expected. My heart hurts I don't know what to do.
What I've been looking into changing to is Family and Consumer Science but I feel that's so cliche for a BYU girl to do. Granted its not school of family life but you take a lot of the same classes! So with this major I could graduate with a secondary teaching degree in like Home-Ec (I'm seeing a counselor today to talk about more options). But I've been thinking about it and I talked to my father and he said well if your a teacher you could also be a volleyball coach! Which would actually be cool! And I would have a minor in COMD so I could work with special needs too. But I don't know, I know changing my major now is very unpractical and irrational but I'm not happy. But who says this new major would make me happy? I don't know. I was actually thinking about this last semester but I figure it would just be better to suck it up and finish (which is what a lot of people say) but now I'm not so sure. My family and Chad are being really supportive and tell me to do what I think is right but I'm still not sure?
Anybody have any thoughts?
1 day ago



5 Insights:
oh Whitney, that is all SO familiar!! I totally went through the same thing. I was doing Elementary Ed, but the classes drove me crazy- I wanted to learn new things, not how to teach things I already knew. Finally one night I couldn't sleep and knew I had to make a change. After lots of prayers, talking to family and friends, and meetings with counselors, I changed my major. I was SO MUCH HAPPIER when I actually enjoyed my classes- even though my major was much less "practical" (it was geography). It really makes a difference. In the long run, an extra year is that bad.
Anyway, my advice is to pray about it and do what feels best. And know that you aren't the only way to change majors right at the end! :)
Good luck!!
Quit school and become a beach bum. That's what I would do. Jk!
If it's a long-term unhappiness you're worried about, change it now. If it's b/c you're bored with the classes but you have high hopes to thoroughly enjoy your original major - stick with it.
Whatever you decide, everyone will be supportive. I've had tons of friends change their majors so you're def. not alone.
Side note...you would be a super cool volleyball coach! :~)
I am going through similar dilemmas. Not so much about changing my major, but just deciding what the heck I wanna do with it? what minor? education? graduate school??? gaaaahhhh. I dunno.
You don't know me, I haven't looked at your blog before. I'm best friends with Kami Stratton(DeWitt) and found your blog through her's...
My name is Jeannie, and I have some advice for you. Like everyone else will tell you, pray about it, go with your heart. However, college and the real world job are almost COMPLETELY different. Keep that in mind. I wasn't interested in SO MUCH of nursing school, and felt much like you. Now I AM a nurse and really enjoy it. Believe me, I had my doubts. It sounds like you have worked hard to get a degree in something that is in high demand. You may change your major and be happpier for the next two years, but what about after that? If you change your major, chances are that you won't find a job as easily...will you be happy then? My advice is to finish the major you have started, then you have a degree that is in high demand that nobody can take away from you. Then go back to school and pick a graduate program that you are merely interested in. A masters is only two years. That way you will have a job in speech if you NEED one, and it will buy you not only time to find that perfect job, but it will make you more marketable. From my experience, most people don't finish college for that reason...not feeling happy in their major etc. College is hard work and requires a lot of sacrifices...sometimes hating your classes and having to muscle through every day. You can get through it. REMEMBER: You don't have to choose, you CAN do it all. Maybe you should double-major? *stepping off of my soap box...I promise I'm not a creep*
Ok first of all...I was 24 when I graduated in April so don't let the age part discourage you. But then as one that majored in CommD, it is a TON of work and it is BYU so it only adds to it. If you are miserable, and you don't find it interesting...then I suggest you switch majors. I love being a speech assistant now that I have graduated and I knew I would even while in school. So, since you sound miserable, don't be afraid to switch and just minor in it like you said. It is better to switch now and put yourself behind a few years other then regret the decision of what you majored in. School is too hard and too expensive. Call me if you need to talk more. Love ya girl!
Post a Comment