Sunday, August 17, 2008

Havasupai!!

So I don't know if anyone has seen the news lately but it talks about Supai canyon having to be evacuated Sunday morning! A dam broke because of excessive rain fall and it got flooded! Well don't worry because I was defiantly there this weekend and just barely missed the flood! We had 37 people go! We left Thursday and came home Saturday night! So our car had 7 people in it and we didn't want to stay forever so we hiked out Saturday at 3ish and everyone else didn't start hiking out till 6ish! We reached the top of the canyon at 7:20! And honestly as soon as we got to the top a wall of water washed over us and it was pouring in the canyon! It was ridiculous! So we made it out nice and dry but all our friends were still in the canyon! They said it was ridiculous and they thought they were going to die! There was so much water!! Thank goodness everyone made it out safe and sound!! But how crazy!! But I literally wake-up this morning and turn on the TV and see that Supai was being evacuated because of flash flooding!! Holy cow I was just there!! I couldn't believe it!! It was an amazing trip, it honestly blows my mind that we just missed the flood!! If you ever have the opportunity to go, Go for sure!!! It is so hard but so worth it! It is a 10 to 13 mile hike one way into a canyon but as soon as you see that first waterfall it takes your breath away!! And you realize why you hiked forever carrying a 30lb pack!! This was my second time going and I don't know if I'll do it again but I said that last time so we'll have to see!!
This is some stop we made in some little town in the middle of nowhere! We thought the old school tractors in the background were cool, not that you can really see them to well! We just wanted to take pictures and climb on this wall, that turned out to be one of those dump stations for RV's to dump their waste!! Awesome!! Haha!


Chillin at the waterfall!

Braiden!!
Courtney!!
Brittney!!
Hammock time! Braiden slept here the night before but then it started raining so he found a little ledge in the mountain to sleep under and the mist from the waterfall kept getting him wet. Pretty sure he didn't get very much sleep!
We found these awesome caves and were exploring them! Some i couldn't go in because they were to small and I would have a panic attack!! Way to claustrophobic!



Our sleeping quarters, the tarp hanging in the back was our changing room!!
So Doug for sure hiked a watermelon down to camp! He is crazy it must have been so stinking heavy! But it was sure fun to eat!!


It was so long and hard but totally worth it!! It is honestly the most beautiful place ever!!!All these pictures are of just one waterfall I didn't take it to the other ones because you kind of have to hike through the water to get to the other ones and I was scared I would brake my camera!!

1 Insights:

Courtney Danae said...

I love the butt shot! Havasupai was so much fun! woohoo!!!